Monday, February 11, 2008

"I'm going to blow the roof off this thing."

“I am going to blow the roof off this thing.”

That’s what I said earlier today in reference to this blog, and I meant absolutely every word of it. I am tired of this blog moving along at a glacial pace, and I intend to kick start it by posting something everyday this week. I even made a list of topics worth writing about – that’s how serious I am about this. Though today’s entry probably won’t be anything special, there should be some good stuff at some point this week. Who knows, maybe I’ll post my long personal essay on the subject of beards.

Being that it is already late and I’m tired and have an aching head, I will stick to a Superficial Comment of the Day for tonight’s post. Tonight’s SCotD is about the way people get lured into near-relationships only to be spat out rather unceremoniously. Point in case, this past summer I was almost in a relationship. This girl and I hung out a lot (by a lot I mean nearly every day for three weeks), and at one point, we both expressed our interest in one another. Logically, I was pretty certain this was leading towards a relationship. Well, it may have been, but it definitely didn’t reach that point. The girl told me she didn’t feel ready to be in a relationship, and that was that. I quickly convinced myself to not dwell on it too much, and I was able to move on quickly.

What bothered me then, and still bothers me now, is this: shouldn’t she have known before things went so far that she wasn’t ready for a relationship? When someone says that they’re not ready to be in a relationship, it really means they don’t want to be in a relationship with you. If you know or sense that, why let things get so far along? A lot of guys probably wouldn’t deal with the letdown so rationally and unemotionally, and the disappoint could really hurt them. I’m not trying to say that this only happens with girls; guys are equally as guilty of doing this.

Of course, I understand being unsure if a relationship would work out, having some doubts, but ignoring them and starting a relationship only to find that it won’t work. I can’t say that I haven’t done that, because I have, last summer even. But I never felt that it wouldn’t work out until I gave it a try. Once I knew, I did what I had to to rectify the situation, and I always felt that it was best for both of us. I suppose what I am trying to get at with this comment is that people ought to be more upfront as soon as they sense that a relationship should not happen or would not work out. The sooner everything is resolved, the less people will be hurt.

That’s what I think, at least.

No comments: