Monday, February 18, 2008

The Virtues of Chivalry

I have come to believe that teaching a concept consists mainly of defining terms. Such is the case with chivalry. I have bemoaned the lack of its presence but as of yet I have not defined it in such a way so as to provide a guide whereby the way of life that it represents can be adopted.

Upon researching chivalry I have concluded that there is no one 'code' per se. Rather, there are some general virtues that one who leads a chivalrous life should be in possession of. Obviously there are a great many virtues that one should endeavor to cultivate - what follows are only an important few.

  1. Courage - having to do with the defense of truth and the integrity of others even when undesired by them
  2. Justice - holding oneself and others to the absolute laws of the Almighty without excuse
  3. Mercy - recognition of the imperfections of man in one's dealings
  4. Largesse - generosity to the extent that one is able
  5. Faith - not only an unwaivering trust in God but also a man of one's word, i.e. in good faith
  6. Nobility - having to do with the character and purity of the soul, virtuous
  7. Hope - not blind optimism, but knowledge that the nobler virtues will prevail
The fatalistic view that since perfection is not attainable we should not strive for it is the way of the weak-willed. I throw my will, my heart, my soul into the abyss of futility, knowing that I cannot achieve perfection - but I do it, if nothing more, because it is the right thing to do! Those who with such cowardice excuse themselves time and again from admitting defeat (yes, I say defeat; for, you cannot achieve the principles of valor without admitting that you do not presently possess them), will never know the true nature of the noble human soul, nor the spark of divinity that serves as the catalyst to greatness.

No comments: